WHAT IS A COLLECTIVE?
CSU collectives represent self-identified members of various constituency groups at Capilano. They meet regularly to work on ways to benefit the students they represent , these activities include:
- organizing events to help students build support and friendship in their community
- executing campaigns to raise awareness of issues facing their group
- facilitating discussions and seminars on important issues in the community
- finding ways to break down stigma in the broader society
- improving accessibility for students to resources, programs and events on and off campus
WHO WE ARE
We are a diverse group of self-identifying students of colour at Capilano University. Membership in this collective is limited to self-identifying members only. We gather to discuss various issues surrounding race and ethnicity, include sharing our experiences, pinpointing issues, and engaging the broader community to break down barriers. We advocate for social justice on race based issues on and off campus. Our collective takes an intersectional approach to race related issues and encourages collaboration with other collectives whenever possible.
WHAT WE DO
The collective meets twice a month to check-in on issues, plan events and workshops, and offer resources to new or guest members. Past events include from film festivals, panel discussions, and other events that celebrate diversity, these include but are not limited to:
- speakers series
- Black History Month events
- intersectional mic night
- working closely with other collectives to promote intersectional events