WHAT IS A COLLECTIVE?
CSU collectives represent self-identified members of various constituency groups at Capilano. They meet regularly to work on ways to benefit the students they represent , these activities include:
- organizing events to help students build support and friendship in their community
- executing campaigns to raise awareness of issues facing their group
- facilitating discussions and seminars on important issues in the community
- finding ways to break down stigma in the broader society
- improving accessibility for students to resources, programs and events on and off campus
WHO WE ARE
Women students collective and Women’s Centre (LB 137) is a place where self-identifying women can gather and communicate. We are a group of intersectional feminists who meet to discuss a range of feminist issues, get involved with international campaigns, and organize and attend events on campus and in the community that are focused on the status of women and gender equality.
We advocate for ALL women. We use an inclusive definition of “woman” and “female” and we welcome trans women, genderqueer women, and non-binary people who are significantly female-identified. The Women’s Centre acts as a free, safe space and can be used by all self-identified “women” and they do not have to be part of the women’s collective to access this space. The centre has emergency feminine hygiene products, coffee and tea, safer sex supplies, couches, tables, and a library.
WHAT WE DO
The women’s collective meets to discuss feminist and gender based issues and organize themselves around these. We meet to plan events, campaigns, protests, brainstorm ways to promote gender equity on campus, and improve the Women’s Centre. We also work with the women’s and gender studies faculty to deliver programming and workshops for students and our members.
Our events include:
- working with the queer students collective on Trans Day of Remembrance
- supporting the Indigenous students collective in their work with and for Indigenous women
- linking with mature & parent students collective for Mother’s Day
- an ongoing clothing drive for the North Shore Women’s Shelter
- collaborating with accessibility Justice on Eating Disorder Awareness Week
- International Women’s Day
- National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- Healthier Masculinities workshops
Check the CSU calendar for collective meetings!