IMPORTANT: Please be advised that any of this information may be subject to change as Capilano University, the BC government, and the federal government continue to provide updates and changes to services.

COVID-19, or the novel coronavirus, has affected almost every aspect of our lives over the last few months. We know that many students are facing uncertainty, rapidly changing circumstances, and new challenges during this time. To help keep you as informed as possible, we have compiled the following list of the resources available from governments, universities, and external organizations.

This global pandemic has required extraordinary measures from all levels of government, and we are trying our best to stay up-to-date with information that sometimes changes by the hour. We will be updating this page with all the newly announced resources being made available to students, in as timely manner as possible. Please continue to refer to official sources, for the most up-to-date, accurate information.

The CSU’s COVID-19 Safety Plan can be found here.

Teaching Delivery 

As of June 12, 2020, Capilano University has announced that most courses and programs for the Fall 2020 semester will be delivered in a remote-adapted model (web-based/online). Academic and other learning supports and student success services will continue to be offered in adapted ways, remotely and with some on-campus services.

Registration for fall opened on July 6, 2020 and students will be able to see notes about the mode of delivery of each course before registering. Courses will be identified by their delivery mode:

  • Online (web-based),
  • In-person (face-to-face on campus or at a specified learning site),
  • Mixed mode (a combination of online and in-person), or
  • Off-site (practicums or community-based delivery)

More information can be found here

Academic Accommodations

On April 8, Capilano University announced the introduction of a new final grade option as well as the extension of the spring 2020 withdrawal period to April 14. 

For the spring 2020 term, after final grades are submitted, students will have the option to accept their final course grade or accent a CR grade (provided they earned a D or higher). Any courses completed with an F grade will not found towards students’ GPAs for the spring term and will be recorded as NC (no credit).

Full details can be found here.

Accommodation Request Templates

Do you need accommodations related to the COVID-19 public health emergency? Use these email templates as a guide to making your accommodation request.

Thank you to the Dalhousie Student Union for sharing these templates.

The CSU is available to provide additional support with individual student advocacy, including assistance with academic appeals.

NEW Canada Emergency Student Benefit 

Available for:

  • domestic students 

Students and recent graduates who do not qualify for the existing Canada Emergency Response Benefit may be eligible for the Canada Emergency Student Benefit worth $1,250 per month from May to August.  If you care for someone or have a disability, this increases to $2000 per month. Payments started on May 1 and are paid through the Canadian Revenue Agency. 

You may be eligible if:

  • You did not apply, receive, nor qualify, for the CERB or EI benefits for the same eligibility period;
  • You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, “Indian status,” or protected person;
  • One of the following applies:
    • You are enrolled in a post-secondary educational program (at least 12 weeks in duration) that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate
    • You completed or ended your post-secondary studies in December 2019 or later
    • You completed or expect to complete high school, or received, or expect to receive your high school equivalency in 2020, and have applied for a post-secondary educational program that starts before February 1, 2021;
  • One of the following applies:
    • You are unable to work due to COVID-19
    • You are looking for, but cannot find work due to COVID-19
    • You are currently working during the COVID-19 pandemic, but your income from employment and self-employment has been $1,000 or less (before taxes) during the 4-week period you are applying for.

More information can be found here

In addition, the government has also committed to doubling the Canada Student Grant for the 2020-21 academic year, along with other changes to come in the Canada Student Loan Program. (Domestic students only)

Capilano University Supplementary Emergency Financial Aid

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

NEW: Capilano Students’ Union commits $75,000 to emergency financial aid for domestic and international students

The university has announced that supplemental emergency financial assistance is available to both domestic and international students, which includes an announcement of supplemental funding provided by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training to support B.C. students who are experiencing an unexpected financial emergency that may affect their ability to finish their studies and handle expenses. 

Capilano University students can apply for funding here.

Canada Emergency Response Benefit 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students 

The federal government will provide a taxable benefit for $2,000 a month for up to twenty-four weeks (Prime Minister Justin Trudeau extended the eligibility period from sixteen weeks on June 16, 2020):

  • workers who had to stop working due to COVID-19 and no don’t have access to paid leave or other income supports
  • workers who are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone sick with COVID-19
  • working parents who now must stay home because of school and daycare closures
  • workers who are still employed, but facing shortages of work or reduced hours who do not otherwise qualify for Employment Insurance
  • wage earners and self-employed individuals, including contract workers, who would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance
  • workers who have a minimum income of $5,000 in the last 12 months (does not have to be earned in Canada, but you need to reside in Canada)
  • part-time workers who are still making up to $1,000 per month
  • workers whose Employment Insurance has already run out since January 1, 2020
  • seasonal workers who have exhausted their Employment Insurance benefits and can’t find their usual seasonal work as a result of the pandemic

Workers who are not citizens or permanent residents, including international students, WILL be able to apply for the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit. Non-citizens, including international students, may be eligible to receive the benefit if they stop working for reasons related to COVID-19 and meet the other eligibility criteria. You must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.

If you became eligible for Employment Insurance prior to March 15th, your claim will be processed under the pre-existing Employment Insurance rules.

If you became eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits on March 15th or onward, your claim will be automatically processed through the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

Service Canada is processing all of these claims as quickly as possible. If you have only just become eligible, you will receive the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit retroactive from March 15.

When you apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you will receive $500 per week, regardless of what you may have been eligible to receive through Employment Insurance.

However, you retain your eligibility to receive Employment Insurance after you stop receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, and the period that you received the CERB does not impact your EI entitlement.

This benefit replaces the previously announced Emergency Care Benefit and the Emergency Support Benefit.

Applications are open as of April 6 here. 

Employment Insurance (regular)

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Employment Insurance provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job.

You may be entitled to Employment Insurance regular benefits if you:

  • were employed in insurable employment
  • lost your job through no fault of your own
  • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last Employment Insurance claim, whichever is shorter
  • are ready, willing and capable of working each day
  • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them)

More information can be found here.

Employment Insurance (sickness)

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

The Employment Insurance Sickness Benefit provides up to 15 weeks of income replacement and is available to eligible claimants who are unable to work because of illness, injury, or quarantine, to allow them time to restore their health and return to work. Canadians quarantined can apply for the Employment Insurance sickness benefit.

Please note, Employment Insurance has waived the one-week wait period as well as the medical note in order to apply. More information can be found here.

If you require the one week wait period to be waived, or would like any more information on the Employment Insurance Sickness Benefit you may contact them via phone.

Telephone: 1.833.381.2725 (toll-free)

Teletypewriter (TTY): 1.800.529.3742

Special Goods and Services Tax Credit

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Low- and modest-income families who receive this GST credit will receive an additional benefit of close to $400 for individuals or $600 dollars for couples on their May cheque.

There is no need to apply. If you are eligible you will get it automatically.

BC Emergency Benefit for Workers

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

The BC Government has announced an emergency benefit for workers. This benefit will be a one-time tax-free payment for British Columbians who receive Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. This includes workers who have been laid off, who are sick or quarantined, parents with sick children, parents who stay at home from work while child care centres and schools are closed, and those caring for sick family members, such as an elderly parent. Workers who are traditionally not eligible for Employment Insurance, such as those who are self-employed, are also eligible for this Benefit.

More information about the BC Emergency Benefit for Workers can be found here.

BC Carbon Rebate Top-Up

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

A one-time enhancement to the Climate Action Tax Credit will be paid in July 2020 for moderate to low-income families:

An adult will receive up to $218.00 (increased from $43.50)

A child will receive $64.00 (increased from $12.75)

Wage Boost for Low-Income Essential Workers

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

On April 15, the federal government announced that they will be releasing a new wage boost in collaboration with the provinces for essential workers who are making less than $2,500 per month. It is unclear at this time whether all low-income essential workers will be eligible.

Later on May 7, 2020, it was announced that the Government of Canada would provide up to $3 billion in support to increase the wages of low-income essential workers. Each province or territory will determine which workers would be eligible for support, and how much support they will receive. Details of how this is/has been distributed by the province have not been released.

CSU Community Cupboard 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Food insecurity is a major issue for students. The CSU Community Cupboard is a program established to support students with one of their basic needs — food. The program connects students with immediate food assistance while also connecting them with other financial and community support.

During the COVID-19 public health emergency, we understand that some of those most affected are our students, many of whom have part-time jobs in industries most heavily affected. Therefore we have adapted our Community Cupboard to be able to be delivered remotely, offering grocery store gift cards to those in need. We aim to limit students to access this service once a semester but will aim to work with you to provide as much support as we can.

To receive assistance, please fill in the form here. 

BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

UPDATE: This program has been available since April, and has been extended for July and August 2020. Those who have received the supplement in April, May or June do not need to apply again. They will receive an email asking them to confirm that they plan to continue living at the same address for July and August.

The BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program gives tenants and landlords temporary support towards rent payments for renters impacted by COVID-19. Payments are made directly to the landlords of eligible households.

This new program will provide a temporary rental supplement for April, May and June 2020. It will cover part of the rent for low- and moderate-income renters who have lost income as a result of COVID-19. Applicants will only have to apply once. If they apply in April, they will get payments for all three months. If they apply in May, they will get payments for the two remaining months. It is expected that the first payments will be provided before the end of April.

The program gives $300 per month for eligible households with no dependents, and $500 per month for eligible households with dependents.

Students can check eligibility requirements and apply through the BC Housing website. 

On March 25, the BC Government announced a renter support package that also includes:

  • halting new and active evictions, except for exceptional circumstances, so no one is evicted because of COVID-19
  • freezing annual rent increases as of April 1

Public Transportation & U-Pass 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

U-Pass BC: From May 1st, there will be a temporary suspension of the U-Pass BC program. This means that U-Pass BC fees already assessed for the summer semester will be automatically reversed prior to the fee payment deadline. 

Any transit trips you make from May 1st will be charged from your Compass Card as Stored Value. Please ensure you have sufficient funds to travel across the required number of zones on SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express.  Note that bus fares will be reinstated from June 1. You can find fare pricing on the TransLink website. 

UPDATE (MAY 21, 2020): The U-Pass program remains temporarily suspended while students are engaged in remote and adapted learning. However, Capilano University is processing refunds for those who did not activate their April U-Pass. For those who did activate it, CapU is working with TransLink to process refunds for anyone who used less than $41 in stored value.

The university is in the process of refunding students who did not activate their April passes now and that those who activated their April pass (and spent less than $41) are next. Refunds will be applied to your Cap account.

According to CapU’s website, fee refunds are mailed to the address on your myCapU account about six weeks after the beginning of the term, so double-check the address you have on file in your account.

NEW BC Hydro COVID-19 Relief Fund 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Who is this available for: Domestic Students | International Students

To support customers during these challenging times, BC Hydro is introducing the COVID-19 Relief Fund.

If you or your spouse/partner have lost employment or have become unable to work due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for three months of bill credit based on your average consumption.

The application is not open yet, but it is expected to be open the week of Monday, April 6. Once it opens, there is no rush to apply. Eligible customers can apply any time until June 30, 2020 to receive the credit.

Learn about the COVID-19 Relief Fund for residential customers.

To be eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund for residential customers:

  • You need to be a residential account holder and have had your account prior to March 15, 2020
  • You need to meet the eligibility criteria of the B.C.Emergency Benefit for Workers
  • You or your spouse/partner have lost your job or have become unable to work (including self-employment) since March 15, 2020. Examples of being unable to work:
    • Being quarantined or sick with COVID-19
    • Taking care of a family member who is sick with COVID-19
    • Having children who require care or supervision due to school or daycare closures
  • You must be able to upload verification of eligibility, such as a copy of your application or approval for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Emergency Benefit for Workers, federal Employment Insurance or Record of Employment

There is a maximum of one COVID Relief Fund bill credit per household.

Repayment of Canada Student Loans On-Hold

Available for:

  • domestic students

The following measures are being put in place to support student loan borrowers during COVID-19:

  • Student loan repayment will be suspended until September 30th, 2020:
    • If you are registered for pre-authorized debit, they will be automatically stopped so you do not have to do anything.
    • If you are making payments by cheque or other means, you are not required to make payments during the suspension period.
    • If you want to continue making payments on your loan, you may do so by logging in to your secure NSLSC account and using the Make a Payment option or through online banking.
  • Interest will not be charged to borrowers on their student loans from March 30th, 2020 to September 30th, 2020.

This measure will also apply to those who are in default or are in the process of rehabilitating their loan.

More information about this can be found here. 

Repayment of BC Student Loans On-Hold

Available for:

  • domestic students

Effective March 30, 2020, all British Columbia student loan borrowers will temporarily have their repayments suspended until September 30, 2020. During this time, no payment will be required, and interest that currently applies to the federal portion of student loans will not accrue. 

Repayment will be paused automatically, so borrowers do not need to apply to have their repayment suspended.

More information about this can be found here. 

Extended Tax Filing Deadline

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

For individuals (other than trusts), the return filing due date was deferred until June 1, 2020. 

However, the Canada Revenue Agency encourages individuals who expect to receive benefits under the GSTC or the Canada Child Benefit not to delay the filing of their return to ensure their entitlements for the 2020-21 benefit year are properly determined.

The Canada Revenue Agency will allow all taxpayers to defer, until after August 31, 2020, the payment of any income tax amounts that become owing on or after today and before September 2020. This relief would apply to tax balances due, as well as instalments, under Part I of the Income Tax Act. No interest or penalties will accumulate on these amounts during this period.

Learn more here.


Announced on March 20, 2020, international students who held a valid study permit or had been approved for a study permit when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020, will be able travel to Canada by air or land. 

They will be exempt from air travel and border restrictions. This exemption is to accommodate students who are in the middle of their course of study or who have just been approved to study in Canada but were outside Canada when the travel restrictions took effect.

Like all travellers, including Canadian citizens and permanent residents, international students who are exempt from air travel restrictions will undergo the necessary health checks and must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival in Canada.

Check this page for more information.

Daycare Centres Remain Open 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Daycares remain open specifically to aid those parents who are still working, like the front line workers in health care at essential places like grocery stores. All parents who don’t require child care should withdraw their children if possible.

If you remove your child during this time, the provincial government has made assurances that you will not lose your place in the daycare facility.

Canada Child Care Benefit 

Available for:

  • domestic students (international student eligibility unknown at this time)

The federal government is providing an extra $300 per child through the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) for 2019-20. This will mean approximately $550 more for the average family.

This benefit will be delivered as part of the scheduled CCB payment in May.

Those who already receive the Canada Child Benefit do not need to re-apply.

Apply for the Canada Child Benefit here.

Changes to the Medical Services Plan (MSP) 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

The MSP coverage wait period will be waived for those who are returning from impacted areas and intend to stay in BC. We are also waiving the wait period for those who return to BC and it is found that they were outside of the province for longer than the allowable time period to maintain MSP coverage.

For those who are in the province with an expired work or study permit, a period of temporary MSP coverage may be provided.

More information can be found here.

BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Find the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool here.

The following symptoms may be symptoms of COVID–19

  • fever
  • cough
  • sneezing
  • sore throat
  • difficulty breathing

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please use the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool to determine further care.

Things to consider:

Most people do not need to be tested for COVID-19 because it will not change your care. People who do not need to be tested for COVID-19 include:

  • people without symptoms
  • people who have mild respiratory symptoms that can be managed at home
  • returning travellers

Who should be tested for COVID-19?

People with respiratory symptoms who may require testing for COVID-19 include people who are:

  • hospitalized, or likely to be hospitalized
  • health care workers
  • residents of long-term care facilities
  • part of an investigation of a cluster or outbreak

Anyone who has symptoms — including a fever, cough, sneezing, or sore throat — should self-isolate for 10 days.

Here2Talk BC 24/7 Mental Health Support 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Here2Talk connects students with mental health support when they need it. Through this program, all students currently registered in a B.C. post-secondary institution have access to free, confidential counselling and community referral services, conveniently available 24/7 via app, phone and web.

You can access the Here2Talk website here. 

You can also download the Here2Talk app from the App Store and Google Play Store.

Capilano University Health & Counselling Services

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

During Capilano University’s reduction of on-campus services, counselling appointments will be available via telephone.

Please call 604.984.1744 to arrange a phone appointment with a counsellor or email counselling@capilanou.ca.

For urgent situations outside of these hours, please call the 24 hour B.C. Crisis Centre line at 604.872.3311.

More information can be found here.

BC Mental Health Support Line

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Call 310.6789 (do not add 604, 778 or 250 before the number). This number will connect you to your local BC crisis line without a wait or busy signal, 24 hours a day. Crisis line workers are trained to help provide emotional support as well as mental health information and resources.

Foundry BC

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

Foundry offers young people ages 12-24 health and wellness resources, services and supports – online and through integrated service centres in communities across BC.

Access Foundry resources here. 

Mental Health Commission of Canada Resource Hub

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

The Mental Health Commission of Canada, has created a resource hub to share credible information and resources about maintaining mental health during this time of crisis, as well as to support people managing a mental illness in this new context.

Resource Hub can be accessed here.

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Resources 

Available for:

  • domestic students
  • international students

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) has created a webpage to provide information and suggestions about how best to cope during this difficult time. It is not intended to be a resource for people who require screening for COVID-19 or are experiencing a mental health crisis.

Resources can be found here.

During these very difficult and uncertain times, the necessity to isolate can be hard and also potentially dangerous or unsafe. If you are in a living or domestic situation that feels unsafe, unhealthy, or violent, you can access some of the resources listed below.

We recognize that safety looks different for everyone.  However if you are in immediate danger or fear for your safety, please call 911. If you are not in immediate danger, you can call VictimLinkBC at 1.800.563.0808.

BC Housing: Women Fleeing Violence
This page of the BC Housing website is dedicated alternate housing for those affected by domestic violence, including transition homes and safe houses.

VictimLinkBC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across BC and Yukon 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence, including victims of human trafficking exploited for labour or sexual services. They can be reached at 1.800.563.0808.

Battered Women Support Services
A feminist voice against violence and oppression, Battered Women Support Services is a strong, dynamic organization that provides support and advocacy for women who have experienced abuse, as well as community education and training about violence against women. 

Women Against Violence Against Women

Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW) is a feminist, anti-oppressive, decolonizing rape crisis centre operating on unceded Coast Salish Territories. They provide support services to survivors of sexualized violence who have shared experiences of gender marginalization: cis and trans women, Two-Spirit, trans, and/or non-binary people. They advocate for social and systemic change through education, outreach and activism. if you are in need of immediate crisis assistance, call 604.255.6344 in the Lower Mainland or call their national toll-free line at 1.877.392.7583.

British Columbia Society for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse
The British Columbia Society for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse is a non-profit society established to provide therapeutic services for males who have been sexually abused at some time in their lives.

Ending Violence Association of BC: Staying Safe during COVID-19
The Ending Violence Association of British Columbia (EVA BC) works to coordinate and support the work of victim-serving and other anti-violence programs in BC through the provision of issue-based consultation and analysis, resource development, training, research, and education. Ending BC will continue posting regular updates, news, and information on their Social Media feeds. Please visit them on Facebook and Twitter.

Ending Violence Association of BC: Services in the Lower Mainland and the Sunshine Coast
This page features a curated list of victim services, violence counselling services, and outreach programs. It is searchable by geographic region.

Ending Violence Canada
Ending Violence Canada offers services across Canada with links to providers based on geographic location.

If you aren’t sure which resource might be a good fit for you, you can contact Ashley Bentley, the student rights and responsibilities advisor at Capilano University, for guidance at 604.986.1911×3578 (office) or 604.802.9422 (cell).