Three times per year, the Capilano Students’ Union holds a used textbook sale. Books are accepted on a consignment basis and sold for 70% of the bookstore price. Students who consign their books receive 85% of sticker price of their sold books, with the other 15% going to the CSU’s administrative and staffing costs.

While we do accept highlighted and “wounded” texts, it is to your advantage to keep your books in good condition if you hope to sell them at a later date. Consult your Student Handbook or our website calendar for the consignment and sale dates.

You can track the status of your consigned books through our online account look-up. Click on the link below to view your account information. This feature is live during the consignment and sale periods.

Used Book Consignment Account Look-Up (consignor account number = student number)

  • Thursday, April 23: first day to consign books
  • Thursday, April 30: first day to purchase books
  • Wednesday, May 6: last day to consign books
  • Thursday, May 14: last day to purchase books
  • Thursday, May 21: all consignment cheques and unsold books from used book sale ready to be picked up
  • Monday, June 1: last day to pick up cheques and unsold books from used book sale

Book List – by dept/course | Book List – by title

The book list contains a list of all of the books being used for classes at the North Vancouver campus in the Fall 2014 semester. The list does not mean that the books will be in inventory and available to purchase. E.g. If a book is brand new, it will be on the list but the CSU will not receive any copies consigned by students as that book edition has not been used before so there are no used copies in circulation.

  • We only buy and sell books that are assigned for courses in the current semester – Current book lists are available at the web page for the University book store.
  • Books which are new editions are unlikely to be found “used”.* Please don’t assume that if the title is on the list, it will be available at the sale. The list indicates books that we will accept on consignment.
  • We do our best to list the correct books for courses. Mistakes do happen, though! Check your books against your course list as soon as your class begins.
  • We accept books on consignment only.* This means that you receive money after the booksale but only if your books sell.* You receive 60% of the new bookstore price if your book is sold.* Payment is by cheque only.
  • WHETHER OR NOT YOUR BOOKS ARE SOLD, you must return to the students’ union to retrieve your cheque and/or books between the dates specified on your consignment form. Any unsold books not picked up by the end of the pick-up period will not be returned.
  • We sell books at 70% of the bookstore price, regardless of condition.
  • We do not buy or sell photocopied notes as well as most lab manuals.
  • Books purchased at the CSU may be returned for a full refund for a limited time.
  • A receipt must accompany all returns.
  • Remember, we sell books in the order they are consigned so bring your books in as early as possible during the consignment period to avoid disappointment. First in, first out.

Do you have any old and unwanted textbooks? Donate them to the CSU! Just drop them off in our collection bins during the book consignment period, or just drop them off at the Services Desk.

The CSU has partnered up with Better World Books for a number of years now keeping books out of the landfill and repurposed. To date, Better World Books has “raised millions of dollars for literacy, saved millions of books from landfills, created jobs for hundreds of people, and provided wonderful books to millions of readers worldwide.”

Interested in knowing how much of an impact the CSU has made? Download the Environmental Metrics Report to see how we have helped save the environment over the years!

amount paid out to consigner
cost of books compared to bookstore
I saved almost a hundred dollars by buying used books through the CSU’s used book sale program!
John, Global Stewardship
Last year I saved money by buying my books used. This year, I was able to sell my old text books and earn money!
Sarah, Business Adminstration