For students who have signed up through the volunteer registry, please select any of the following volunteer opportunities:
Listed below are CSU-focused volunteer opportunities:
- Student Participant on Cap U Executive Search Committee – posted Apr 20, 2017
- Rock the Boat Party Bus Ambassador – posted Mar 30, 2017
- Count on Our Vote! Provincial Election Volunteer – posted Mar 13, 2017
- Sexualized Violence & Misconduct Consultation Hero – Jan 19, 2017
- Women’s Centre Ambassador – posted Jan 13, 2017
- Queer Resource Centre Ambassador – posted Feb 16, 2017
- CSU Street Team Ambassador – posted Feb 16, 2017
- Bulletin Board Maintainer – posted Feb 16, 2017
- CSU photographer – posted Feb 16, 2017
- CSU Community Gardener – posted Feb 16, 2017
Listed below are opportunities for other campus groups or outside organizations:
- university volunteers
- Free Ice Cream Cone Day – Ice Cream Server – posted Mar 29, 2017
- Student Research Symposium Volunteers – posted Mar 23, 2017. Apply by Apr 7, 2017
- Convocation Volunteers – posted Mar 30, 2017
- Chartwells Ambassadors – posted Mar 29, 2017
- Career services volunteer jobs
- Explore Capilano Volunteers – posted Feb 15, 2017
- Social Media Coordinator CapUEvents – posted Feb 16, 2017
- University committees & consultations
- Student Representative to the Senate Instructional Technologies Advisory Committee – posted Mar 16, 2017
- Student Representative to the Senate Academic Planning Program Review Committee – posted Mar 16, 2017
- Student Representative to the Senate Curriculum Committee – posted Mar 16, 2017
- community volunteers
- Summer Camp Volunteer – Camp Goodtimes, Canadian Cancer Society – posted Feb 2, 2017. Apply by Mar 31, 2017
- Corporate Champions Vancouver – posted Jan 26, 2017. Apply by Apr 15, 2017.
- Events Coordinator
- Event Ambassador
- Event Photographer
- Event Videographer
- Creative & Graphics Designer
- Social Media Coordinator
- SFU Camps – Summer Camps Volunteer – posted Feb 20, 2017. Apply by Apr 30, 2017
Questions to help identify self-directed volunteer opportunities:
- Do you have volunteer work that you are currently doing and you want to be rewarded for it?
- Do you have unique skills that you would be willing to offer up through volunteering?
- Do you volunteer in the community?
VOLUNTEER COMMITMENT LEVELS
- Interested in showing up to events, assisting in setup and tear down, taking direction and being part of a team
- Average time commitment: 4-6 hours a month, as needed. May be more events in September during welcome back, for example, and none in December.
- Standard letter of reference, citing number of hours worked and events staffed, volunteer T-shirt, option of Serving It Right training after 12 hours worked
- Interested in apply existing skills to aid and assist the organization, and working independently to deliver a product or goal
- Custom job description based on organization’s requirements and student’s skills/interests
- Average time commitment varies, depending on complexity of project and timeline. Starting estimate 10 hours per project
- Custom letter of reference and option of phone reference, specific job title and description for resume, use of material for portfolio, CSU mason jar mug, 5% discount on personal purchases at CSU Used Book Sale, free admission to one CSU event
- Interested in working behind the scenes, planning, and directing other volunteers on event day
- Average time commitment varies, depending on the complexity of project and timeline. Starting estimate 10 hours preparation + event day
After a required number of volunteer hours (2-3 volunteer positions), a student can become a Volunteer Ambassador!
Duties can include, supervising other volunteers, training new volunteers in the ways of the CSU volunteers and any of the given programs.
Perks? More student leadership roles? Better references for students who took on these roles?
- Interested in getting the word out to fellow students about existing campaigns, working independently or part of a street team
- Average time commitment 4 hours/week, depending on campaign schedule