CSU collectives represent self-identified members of various constituency groups at Capilano. They meet regularly to work on ways to benefit the students they represent , these activities include:
- organizing events to help students build support and friendship in their community
- executing campaigns to raise awareness of issues facing their group
- facilitating discussions and seminars on important issues in the community
- finding ways to break down stigma in the broader society
- improving accessibility for students to resources, programs and events on and off campus
WHO WE ARE
Those in the mature & parent students collective are self-identified according to their personal definition. Not all mature students are parents, and not all parents are mature students, and some might be both.
WHAT WE DO
The mature & parent students collective advocates for mature students and those who are parents. Issues include childcare, balancing life and work, and inflexibility in schedules and course loads.
We seek to help students who are juggling familial issues as well as students who are older and feel under-represented in the classroom and on campus. Stigmas around university being a youthful space inspire us to create a more inclusive campus.
Much like all the student collectives, we seek to be as intersectional as possible and recognize the varying barriers and cross identities that come with being a mature or parent student. We seek to abolish the stigmas surrounding parenthood and post-secondary education, and encourage mature students to achieve their educational dreams.